Sunday, February 10, 2013

"Everybody Wake Up, If You're Living With Your Eyes Closed"

As I sat in the faculty lounge last week, a conversation about the Opt Out Movement began between a few colleagues of mine. One of the women involved was stating how she had already sent the opt out letter to her daughter's principal. The shocking part, to me, was that the other woman, a teacher that I know is passionate, had no clue that opting out was an option. This scared me.
To my fellow educators and to anyone else who feels, strike that-KNOWS, that the high stakes testing/"accountability" movement is damaging our schools, I strongly urge you to spread the word. Get on social media sites, educate yourself about what is really going on, and ask yourself, "How much damage is really being done here?" I am sure if we all take a step back and look, with our eyes wide open, we will see that this is not a passing trend. If we do not join together and take a stand, public education will cease to exist, at least the public education we know and love.
We need all members of this PROFESSION to be aware, and then we need to spread the word - rapidly and vastly.

No comments:

Post a Comment