Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Bart Simpson's I Will Not Chalkboard for Today's Students



A few years ago I was lucky enough to have come across a wonderful resource from Barry Lane. "51 Wacky We-Search Reports" is a book that is valuable guide for any literacy teacher (or any other subject area teacher for that matter) looking to add a little spice to the traditional "research report." It includes, you guessed it, 51 unique, interesting, and motivational approaches to research. You can find it here: http://tiny.cc/m01esw

One of the styles included in the book has become a staple in my classroom. The "I Will Not Chalkboard" was inspired by the ever changing introduction to the long running animated show, The Simpsons. You remember, the part where the camera pans into Bart's classroom to find him fulfilling a punishment by writing on the chalkboard over and over, "I will not..."
This activity has become an enriching and challenging part of the summarizing unit for my students. They have fallen in love with the idea of creating negative, "I will not" statements for facts or points they know to be true from an article or story.

Today, I use the activity in a slightly different form.

I have taken the liberty to create an "I will not" chalkboard for today's students IF we choose to not stand up to the high stakes testing movement.

"I Will Not..."

"I will not beg for one more chapter from our class read aloud, because who has time for read alouds?

I will not be able to show my creativity by choosing A, B, C, or D.

I will not develop true problem solving skills, because we have to rush to cover what's on the test.

I will not develop a love of literature, most of what we read is what you refer to as "passages."

I will not be able to explore and find what I am passionate about learning, you have told me what I "must" know.

I will not be able to use today's technology to connect with a knowledgeable world, there is no time.

I will not realize that mistakes are golden opportunities for growth, after all, it has to be "right" on the test."

***Teachers, parents, administrators, students! Do not let the high stakes testing movement become a punishment for our children.
Aye Caramba! They deserve better, don't they?

Come Along!







2 comments:

  1. I will not participate in meaningful discussions about powerful literature because politicians dictate what we can discuss in my classroom, so we can "Race to the Top" and "Leave No Child Behind"!

    I will not participate in band, orchestra, chorus, or other extra curricular clubs because I am mandated to attend AIS to improve my test scores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will not perform any physical, lifetime activities and/or team sports because I have to "go an inch wide and mile deep" and read to students (CCLS) about sportsmanship.

    Einstein once said ...
    "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning".

    What's better; read about sportsmanship and answer questions in A, B, C and D format or play, experience joy, encounter defeat, help others or cheat them?
    ...
    Chose wisely "A" or "B"?

    ReplyDelete